Monday, 20 July 2009

Hawgworts.

Yeah, so naturally I went to see Harry Potter with my own eyes last night with the fam. It was actually really funny. Surprisingly so. Well, it was until bloody Daniel 'I'm so grown up' Radcliff ruined it with the pincer nonsense. NOTE TO DANIEL; You're no Cpt. Jack Sparrow, son.
Anyway..

I felt they over-did the whole Hermione/Ron situation. When reading the books, you got an inkling, but you never really realised what was going on between the two of them until the last book, and then everything made sense. The film completely ruins this element of some surprise by making it so unbelievably obvious it's ridiculous. Plus, because of the next-to-nothing mention of any love between the two in the previous 5 films, it comes some-what out of the blue and hits you immediately; when Ron tries to wipe some toothpaste off Hermy's face. It's cringe-worthy.

Lavender was brilliant, although I imagined her as a brunette. Luna was amazing, absolutely love her. Neville, for someone so crucial in the final book, didn't say a word. Not a word. Poor guy... even Seamus got a line (I think?).

Draco was magnificent. Very well done Mr Felton. Brilliant. Star of the film. Yeah, yeah, yeah. If only he could sort out his walk, we might have a rather decent actor on our hands.

Ginny was rather annoying in this one. Her bland face was made even more bland with bland clothes and bland lines. Ginevra Weasley is a feisty little thing in the book; the only girl of seven children, a survivor of You-Know-Who- just like the main kid. The film makes her out to be a no-body. Poor girl.

My favourite person in the whole wide world the film, Dean Thomas got very, very little attention. Bummer. I thought with the whole 'he's snogging Ginny' thing that he might get a line or two. I distinctly remember him and Ron having a heated argument in the book, I think Ron even punched him (?). None of this is in the film. Ron accepts it and moves on and again, the situation is back on him and Hermione and Hermione lusting after Ron (why?) and Ron being completely oblivious and saying her name whilst unconscious. Super.

So in summary; Dumbledore dies, everyone cries, Dean needs more lines, Draco needs a new walk and the film ends abruptly. Fabulous.

No comments: