Sunday, 6 July 2008

Recent loves of the Onomastic kind.

As mentioned in a previous post, I love names. Wahoo.
I've decided to publish my recent loves on this post because I can, am bored, and I am in need of writing them out a few times to see what they look like on a proper internet document.

Kestrel
Not the bird, not the lager, but the sweet, endearing name. It is when I think about how Kestrel is a bird that I realise I have a sort of fetish for bird names. Wren, Lark and of course Kestrel being the main ones.

I first discovered a love for Kestrel back in '04 when I read The Wind Singer by William Nicholson. The main characters were twins named Bowman & Kestrel. I fell ever so much in love with Kestrel as the book progressed, seriously considering the name for my LPN*.
Now I simply don't care what society says [that went out the window when I swore my love for the female name, Hero] I am in love with Kestrel.

Godelieve
Ahck. If only this name didn't had GOD so clearly at the front, it would be up there as a favourite. Such a beautiful name to say [ZHO-de-LEEV] and so incredibly pretty. I discovered this name from some poster who used to post on an old baby-name forum, which sadly now has been taken over by the massive children entertaining company Nickelodeon. I mean, really.

I'm feeling a Kestrel Godelieve vibe.. it is an incredible amount of wank, but so lovely. I might just keep this combo for myself to gaze at occasionally.
I also like the sparkly Diana with Kestrel - spruces it up a little, no? Kestrel Diana. Hmm, lacks the pizazz that Kestrel Godelieve manages so elegantly. Argh, never mind.

Silas
Whoever came up with the name Silas needs shooting. He won't get out of my head. He doesn't fit with any other middle name names.. I don't exactly know what to do with him. I might stick him as a middle name. Then everyone is happy.

I'd like to remind any viewers of this blog that I am indeed only 16. My fascination of names spans over 2 ridiculous years of constant obsession and shows no signs of slowing down. My mother constantly worries I am pregnant for the countless notebooks she finds with endless lists of names in them.
I simply can't help it Karen, I simply can't.

I will end this with some b-e-a-u-tiful pictures I came across earlier..
* - Little Purple Notebook - the holder of all my favourite names.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Kestrel rocks!

Where did you get the Godelieve pronunciation from? As far as I'm concerned it should be said GOH-de-lee-veh, it also means "love for God", so there's hardly any denying about the "God" part ;-)

Rachael said...

I noticed this alternative pronunciation on another board.
I found it far more exciting and pretty than the rather boring GOH-de-lee-veh.

:)