Saturday, 18 December 2010

Acting .

I want to act.

I want I want I want.

I literally have no idea how to get into it. Literally. If I can avoid drama school I will. I'd love to get my degree in 2012 and literally immediately after jet out to LA, get an agent, wait tables to earn some money, and hopefully get a role in something. A play, a musical, a television programme, an indie film, a blockbuster film. Anything. I just want the chance to act. It's so thrilling and gives me a buzz that I cannot get from anything else.

Someone advise me what to do? I know it's probably wisest to go to drama school, I'd happily go for the contacts alone, but I feel like I've postponed acting enough by doing my degree - after I graduate I just want to get out there, get some experience, get some direction.

I wish uni had a drama club. We have drama productions, but all you can participate in are auditions for the plays, and if you don't get a role you have to wait till next term to audition for the next play - I want a weekly drama society that I can consistently participate and improve in.

I really want to be an actress, and I know I have the ability to do it. I've never admitted that about anything. Even when I was one of 4 picked out of a thousand for ballet school, I always doubted my strength in it. With acting I know I'm good. It sounds big headed, but I should be allowed to be big headed about one aspect of my life, and I'm choosing the area I'm most passionate and ambitious in; acting .

3 comments:

Max Zayne said...

You don't need to go to drama school to be an actor, I mean Christian bale did turn down 3 of the best schools and look where he is now (that being said, most successful UK actors have trained), I want to go to drama school myself and it’s not just about becoming an actor, but it’s about belonging in a company and learning tools to sustain my career in the arts, it really depends on what your reasons are, there is no ‘wrong’ type of actor, regardless of what anyone might say, I studied acting in LA for about 8 months ( I was there to study and not work ) and I realised I wanted to train in England, but drama schools are seriously competitive in the UK now and you should only really bother if you are very very determined to get in and realize it is actually a lottery, backed with hard work and the ability to act.

Rachael said...

Thanks for your advice, Zayne, I really appreciate it. So are you from LA originally? Where are you hoping to study in the UK?

Max Zayne said...

No no no I'm born and raised in London, just when I was 19 I decided I wanted to go to Los Angeles, because... It's LA and I want to do films at the end of the day, that being said I'm pretty attracted to the power of theatre too, I'm hoping to study at RADA/LAMDA, but I'd be just as glad to study at the Bristol or the central school, all really good schools built with good history and great training (apparently)