Wednesday, 28 May 2008

The Name Domain.

Over the last few years, I have found myself hopelessly obsessed with names. First names, middle names; of every origin, gender, meaning & history.

Of course, I most certainly not pregnant, nor am I researching for a friend who is pregnant; I simply, basically and ultimately adore names.


'What names?' I may hear you ask. Well, my friends- I could take all day writing them down, so I'll just pin-point some highlights of the name industry for you;

The O trend

Most names ending in O tend to wiggle their onomastic tails onto my endless list. This includes for girls; Hero, Io, Leto, Juno, Echo, Lilo & Margo(t). For boys; Hugo, Finlo, Milo, Inigo, Jago & the king of the Os - Otto.

These names practically dominate my list, with Hero leading the way for the girls, and for the boys, Jago & Hugo both feature as middle names in some of my combinations (combos), as Margo(t) does in one of my girls.

Of course there is the occasional cry of 'masculine!' from some of the name forums I frequent, but ultimately - I find them so indulgent that there is no way they are going anywhere.

The land of Far-Far-Away trend

Yes, I am a victim to this. The more foreign the sound the better, the more obscure and hard to pronounce, the more likely it will appear on my list.

Recent loves of this kind of style include for girls; Roksanda, Mythily, Yue, Silke, Elke, Fioralba, Flordiana, Ysabeau, Thisbe, Jette, Clémence & Pia.
I am not so bad for boys; Tadhg, Tigernach, Joachim, Sacha, Joaquín, Tudor, Stirling, Madoc & Rudiger.


My current top names or combos are;

Hero Violet Elspeth & Judah Leon Hamish.
[Rex Sacha Joaquin & Kate Kerensa Leto]


No comments: